Endpoint Machine Hardening Strategies For Mac:
Security plays a crucial part for any server or computer configuration. These tutorials will help you step by step for maximizing and improving the mac security.
- Check whether the installed operating system is genuine and updated MAC OS 10.11.
- Create administrator and normal user account.
- Install third party antivirus software.
- Application access control.
- Need to check whether the OS & installed are full version & not pirated ones
- If it is a pirated one need to install original MAC OS 10.11.
- From mac OS version 10.11 onwards (EI capitan) its available.
- There is a fewer feature called “system ingerity protection” i.e “ root restriction” means a root user cant modify the key kernel files, alias “rootless” in apple terms.
- Creating Root & normal user Account
- Creation of super & standard user a/c.
- Add standard user to sudoers list
- Apple also has a antivirus named “X-protect” but it is simple signature based, installing thrid party endpoint security software like Mac Internet Security X9 (www.intego.com) would be a safer option.
- Application access restriction/control with “parental control” and with “Little Flocker”
- We can implement white listing of apps.
- Little flocker is a fine-grained control & tracking over apps
- Restricting user from downloading apps only from Mac store. Works has an anti-malware application.
- By default it is disabled.